Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Boys Birth Story

January 27, 2014
I woke up at 3:00 am to what felt like I was kicked in the stomach. Got up to go to the bathroom and sure enough, my water had broke. I yelled for Dillon and told him it was time! We packed up all of our stuff and headed to the hospital. At home I wasn't having contractions, but on our way they were coming about 5 to 6 minutes apart. We got checked in at about 3:40 am, got hooked up to the monitors and the doctor came and checked for dilation at about 4:30. At that point I was dilated to 6 cm and was having contractions every 1 1/2 minutes. The anesthesiologist came in shortly after to issue the epidural and then I was checked for dilation at about 6:00am. I was now dilated to a 9+. They kept telling me I was going to have the boys within the hour. I labored in the room for awhile because they just wanted to wait until I felt pressure before they moved me to the operating room. (All twins are born in the operating room just in case they need to do an emergency c-section.) We finally got moved to the operating room at 9:05am. They got me all situated and I started pushing at 9:20. Kai Traysen decided to make his entrance into the world at 10:40 am. He came out with the cord wrapped around his neck and gave us quite the scare. He wasn't breathing on his own right away and it took the doctors and nurses about 10 minutes to finally get him to breath. Scariest 10 minutes of our lives. I was trying to focus on getting Kamdyn out, but was having a hard time focusing while they were working on Kai. As soon as they got Kai breathing, I was able to focus more and Kamdyn Tobias entered the world screaming at 10:56am.  As soon as they were both born, they brought Kai to me so I could hold him and shortly after they brought me Kamdyn! What a relief to have both boys on my chest breathing in room air! They layed with me so peacefully for about 30 minutes and then the nurses brought them to the special care nursery. Dillon stayed with me until I got wheeled to my post partum room and then went to the nursery to be with the boys. 

Dillon came back to my room a little later and said that both boys were doing great. Neither of them needed any oxygen support! They weighed them and Kai was 5 lbs 4 oz and 19 inches long. Kamdyn was 5 lbs 10 oz and 19 1/4 inches. They were both put in issolets to keep warm and to be monitored.

We are so thankful that they are here and healthy. Hopefully they act like little studs and can come home soon, but we have been told to plan for a 1-3 week stay. Of course we would prefer the one week stay, but we know they are in good hands here and want them to be as healthy as can be before going home. 

My mom and sisters threw me a baby shower on Sunday. I really wanted to wait until after the shower to go into labor and the boys cooperated!  Thank you to everyone who was there and for spoiling all 4 of us!  We are now ready to take Kai and Kamdyn home!

More pictures of the boys to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment