Monday, November 18, 2013

Weeks Two through Four

Weeks two and three have been pretty boring (which is a very good thing).  I go on monitors daily to check on how the babies are doing.  They have both looked great everyday.  The nurses and doctors like to see variability in their heart rates, meaning their heart rates have increases for ten seconds at a time. The nurses have been very impressed with the increases they have shown between the 25 and 27 week mark.  The nurses have also mentioned how hard it usually is to find both babies on the monitors and also how hard it is to keep them on the monitors, but the babies have been doing great in both aspects and have really surprised the nurses!

I have also been on ibuprofen every six hours to help calm down my uterus and to help prevent contractions. Ibuprofen can mess with the fluid levels for the babies, so I have been getting weekly ultrasounds to monitor this.  If they were to notice the fluid levels decreasing, they would take me off the ibuprofen, but so far the fluid levels have been great!  At each ultrasound they were also doing a cervix check.  The 25 week cervix check showed no change from the week before, but during the 26 week check they saw a slight difference so they wanted to check to see if I had dilated.  To my surprise, I had dilated to a 3cm.  They weren't too concerned about me going into labor, so they just wanted me to keep track of contractions and let them know if they got more intense or more frequent. I was checked for dilation two more times over the next two weeks and there was no change!  At this point, I just have to let them know if I feel any different or if my contractions change otherwise they are going to assume nothing has changed.

On Monday, December 2nd we had a formal ultrasound to measure the babies growth.  Baby A is 2lbs 4oz and considered in the 45th percentile for that gestational age and Baby B is 2lbs 10oz and considered in the 67th percentile.  This is great news as twins tend to be a little smaller.  From the measurements they could determine that baby A has a bigger head than baby B and Baby B has a bigger abdomen than Baby A.  They told us that Baby B's abdomen is about a week ahead in growth than is what expected.  The doctors seemed very encouraged by these measurements which definitely helps with our worries as well.

I have had a lot of visitors which helps take up some of the time here so that is very helpful.  My mom has been staying here during the week and on the weeks Dillon is not on call he has come for the weekend.  It has been difficult being here so far from home, but we know that we are in the best place possible and it is just a short amount of time in our life.  Whatever is best for our babies is what we are going to do.  We want to thank everyone for their prayers, kind words and little gifts over the last few weeks, they have given me a lot of encouragement!

This should bring us up to where we are currently at the 28 week mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment